Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Strangely Quiet

I can see the clouds rolling in as the storm approaches. There's a change in the air, and I'm not happy about it.

Things have just about come to a stand-still at TPN (my crit group). I was warned by the moderator that there had been a quiet period before my joining. Seems, after a brief flurry of activity, another lull is upon the group.

One is extremely busy with work, another has had a family tragedy and my thoughts are with her. Another I think I may have upset. Another comes and goes like the proverbial wind and the moderator has just returned from a writers workshop, and is therefore understandably in a digest mode. The "professional" partners have also gone quiet after a quick exchange of posts.

But it's more than just everyone being busy. Posts have sat idle, uncritiqued for weeks. One of the members posted a story that has received a comment from me (it was very good and needed more than my clumsy hand for line editing) but nothing else. My posts have received similar treatment.

Tonight I offered a critique to the only new piece of work I've seen from a regular member for some time. That member is apparently as prolific as myself, but it's also the member I think I upset. Hopefully this crit goes down better.

Could be difficult to gain critiques in the short term. I was warned so I can't complain, but the suddenness of it is astounding. I hope it doesn't last long.

I've put together the first draft of my poetry assignment. I'm just waiting on comment from my poetry guru. Hopefully I shouldn't have to change too much before I can package it up and send it out. "Mobile" is ready for crit whenever I've finished and submitted my current batch.

I began to organise and revise "Tigers Eye" today. (Let the doves loose) Finally sat down and stopped procrastinating on it. I got to page 5 before I wondered if I'd really written it that badly. The story is good but technically the writing is bad. Lots of work to do.

Read the next assignment, "Internet Resources for Writers" - should be a snap. As soon as the poetry one is out the door then I'll do that one. That should put me nearly two weeks ahead of the curve.

Emailed the South Australian Olympic Committee today for information to help in my article. No response to this point in time. I may have to write a backup piece, just in case. maybe on the telecast options for viewing it. Let the target demographic know of their viewing options ahead of time. Could work...

Had a quick look at my new competition piece (which will also require critiquing at some point). I haven't updated it since I wrote the stage play version. I know it needs some revision, but I want to wait for my lecturers comments on the play. I'm sure he will have some pearls of wisdom for me to add into the mix--he always does.

Well, I think that's about it for today. I seem to be spending a lot of time doing things and not going anywhere. Kind of spinning my wheels. Only 10 days to go till the end of the month. things should start to pick up again come June. At least a whole lot of stuff will have gone out the door and I can commit to my novel more.

Had a sneak peek at the next two modules for the rest of the year today. "Write Fiction 1 (The Short Story)" and "Write Articles for Publication 1" - sounds strangely like what I do now. Six short stories currently on the go and I write articles for SA50s+. Should be an interesting second semester.

Okay, that's definitely it for now. This has turned into a huge post and it's making me sad. I have no idea how I can write so much about what I've been doing and have nothing solid to show for it. I didn't even receive assignment returns in the mail today.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for everyone.

BT

No comments:

Post a Comment