Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft

On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft by Stephen King has replaced Suffer the Children by John Saul as my current book.

At 291 pages (of which I'm up to pg 187) this is, as everyone has told me, a must read for all writers. Not just horror writers or those that dabble in the slightly dark side of fiction.

THIS IS FOR ALL WRITERS!

I'm sorry for the bold, red shouting but I wanted to make sure I got that point across. Apart from an amusing story, it has some real insights into writing in general, and into Stevie's (as he calls himself in the book) writing in particular.

Flicking to the back - there's also a booklist! A veritable goldmine of titles to add to the list I'm putting together. I will of course give credit to the resources I find these lists in. Including Stephen's list, I have close to 150 books. I intend to go through reviews for all of them to whittle it down to the best 100 titles all writers of dark fiction should read, and perhaps the top 20 resource books, of which On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft will be a part of.

I should have this finished and a review posted sometime over the next few days and then I'll be moving on to Strunk and White's classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment