Friday, May 23, 2008

Playing

Yes I've had another play around with things. A change is as good a a holiday, they say...whoever they are. As I can't afford a holiday, then I figured moving some of the page elements around would have to suffice. It's easier than moving the bedroom furniture :)

Absolutely nothing has happened with my writing today. I've received no word on my poetry assignment. I've received no mail from my course coordinators. I've received no word from my critique group.

I've read more of John Saul's "Suffer the Children" and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I'm about halfway through and I keep picking out the lack of contractions in his descriptive passages. The writing comes across as quite stilted in places. The story is still good: the building tension, the unique way he jumps into the head of all the characters through a single paragraph. It's an amazing juggling act that new writers are told not to do, but Saul manages to pull it off. Still I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll save all my thoughts and comments for the review at the end.

AbD want to have a look at my writing list for new writers of the dark arts. The first 21 will come from the "on writing horror" handbook by HWA but I'm going to add a whole lot more to it. Keep an eye out for it.

Nearly time for me to go do the weekly shopping and watch the Friday night footy. Hopefully I'll hear something from someone about my writing, over the weekend. I intend to post my short story "Mobile" to the crit group tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get some feedback on that one.

Speak to you soon.

BT

No comments:

Post a Comment