Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Idol Con

I've posted "The Idol Con" to TPN.

The group has been extremely quiet recently, so this may have to go in as is. The moderator is usually good to at least pick up the punctuation issues and make a comment so I wait in hope.

Tomorrow, I'm due to begin the revision of "Tigers Eye"--I'm not really looking forward to it. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing. Time to see if I can roll out that discipline I keep telling my kids about...

Tonight I want to write the first draft of my article and read. I'm finding it a struggle to get through "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. It assumes knowledge of grammatical and punctuation terms by the reader which I know little or nothing about. This is supposed to be the great style guide touted by some of the best writers out there. Now that I think about it, most of those writers were teachers at one time or another. I guess they already knew the terms and use the guide as a reminder.

If you're really good at the English language, or happen to be an English teacher, I guess you have a big head start on the rest of us poor schleps.

The language, and the proper use of it is the most important tool in a writers arsenal so it's something we all have to come to grips with. I think the style guide of choice though, is for someone who has grasped all the fundamentals already. I'll get through it, but the review will be some way away yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment