Friday, June 27, 2008

Research

Tonight I've been working on my latest short story which has a working title called "Wamphyri" - cool title! Look it up on the net and you'll soon figure out what it's about.

Anyway, this short is also the one I'm looking at incorporating for one of the 2nd semester modules in my course titled "Write Fiction 1 (Short Story)" which is all about writing the short story--obviously.

Assignment 1 of the module was to rewrite a short story they provided in a different POV. I've done the first draft of that. Assignment 2 was coming up with an outline for the short story using a table they provide you with. I'll see if I can get a scan of the suggested table formula and host it on the website. I've done the first draft of this as well. Assignment 3 is doing a "get to know your main character" type of thing. I've now done the first draft of this as well. On top of that, I've done a huge amount of background reading so I know the people, the political arena and the type of environment. I have a pretty good story mapped out.

Now I just have to be able to write it. If it all comes together as I see it in my head, then it may just be the type of story Potters Field is looking for as well.

One last thing. I would be remiss if I didn't mention this story was inspired by "Dur Wulf" by Tim Curran. I read it in Dark Animus Issue 10/11 as a review for HorrorScope. An excellent story that got me thinking. So there you have it, reading widely and often, is good for your writing.

Have at it.

Good luck with your writing.

BT

No comments:

Post a Comment