Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Best Intentions

I guess I come across to people a little brash at times, perhaps a little arrogant. I don't mean to be. I'm no shrinking violet but I don't want to be overbearing either.

Sometimes tongue-in-cheek just isn't as funny when you're not the person who spawned the original intention, and usually, email isn't a good medium to have a conversation in.

On a couple of occasions recently, either I, or another person communicating with me, have been taken out of context in a phrase or meaning (within an email). What we would normally say as an offhand remark, doesn't have an opportunity to slip past when it's written down or have the accompanying gestures to clarify intent.

"But we're writers," you cry, "we should be able to communicate effectively with the written word." If I was writing to somebody as if I was writing to a publication, then hopefully that's true, but when it's just boring old me, I let the walls of good writing come crashing down, and just type what comes into my head. Like I'm doing now. It's like having a conversation with the keyboard that you know others will be reading as soon as you press send (or publish in the case of this blog).

What I am beginning to do though, is go back and read what I've typed before I press send. I try and take away vague suggestions and playful humour. I try to be be open and honest and forthright. Too many things can be taken the wrong way otherwise.

If you ever get an email from me, please remember that if I don't like you, I'll tell you (if you ask), if I write something you're not sure the meaning or context of, ask me--I don't bite. Hell, if I didn't like you, I wouldn't have emailed you in the first place.

For everyone else out there that I'm not likely to exchange emails with--be very selective with your choice of word and your turn of phrase within emails. If in doubt, and you're able, use the phone for clarification or go and see the person. Email wars just aren't worth the aggravation.

Have fun

BT

No comments:

Post a Comment