Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Advertising

Dave - the stats are done by the counter located on the sidebar. Click on it and set one up for yourself. It's dead easy and boosts the ego.

As for advertising, not going to happen really. I have one ad, way down at the bottom of the blog where nobody ever visits and I'm thinking of scraping that. I have this blog for a number of reasons and none of them have to do with making money.

No - I don't have an issue with people putting ads on their blogs or websites.

No - I don't have an issue with making money, or anybody else making monet through the ads.

When I first started this blog, I had ads on it. Nobody came here so I never sold anything, but it didn't feel right to me anyway. I've played around with freelancing, or with what lots of other people call freelancing, and it's not for me. My type of freelancing is to write articles and be paid for them. I'm happy to get paid for whatever work I do, but gaining money for sticking an ad on my blog, passive freelancing, doesn't sit well with me.

When I gain publication of a novel, I'll have a website where people will be able to buy my book. I'll stick amazon widgets on this blog and gain money from that. I'm happy to that because I'm selling my own stuff. If I gain publication in a print anthology, I'll whack up a widget for that book as well, but not for any other.

I'm happy to provide links to stuff I think is worthwhile - for free.

I'm happy to raise extra revenue for my work.

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with passive selling of other people's stuff.

It's not what I'm here for and it's not what I'm about. Yes, I want to be a professional writer and live off the money I make for writing. Yes, many people say I need to diversify my income streams, and should include passive income such as ads, but I can't - I won't.

So my promise to all of you is you won't see additional ads popping up on this blog until I start selling my own stuff, but when I do start selling my own work, I expect you all to buy it - makes a great stocking filler or present for Mother's Day...

;c)

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine anyone WANTING to advertise on my blog *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant more along the lines of GoogleAds everywhere, or too many Amazon book widgets, or worse, 'How To' writing books and courses. I've seen way too many of the last that are nothing but consolidation of the types of things we share freely, sold for profit. A pure rip off of new writers. That pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete