Monday, February 9, 2009

A Little Goes A Long Way

For all of us who thought writing a couple of hundred words was a pretty poor effort for a days writing - I have been shown the error of my ways.

I've been struggling to write chapter 10 of Newland for the past two months. I knew it was close but i needed to find a way to wrap the chapter up, convey what I needed to and set the scene for an actioned packed chapter eleven which is also my Act One climax.

Tonight I revised what I'd already written in chapter 10 so I regained familiarity with where I was at. I changed a couple of the sentences I'd left off at last time and wrote a new 200 or so words. Chapter 10 done.

What a relief.

I can already see how chapter eleven will unfold in my minds eye. I can hear it. I know the background noises my characters will notice, the smells, the heat of the sun, the ever-present insects, the shrill cry of painted natives as they rush from the surrounding bush...whoops, forget I said that.

The 'battle' scene should take between 2500-3000 words to depict. Short sharp and intensely focused - like the rest of the current draft. The chapters will be a bit bigger once revised but I'm doing this in layers. For now, I'm just getting the story out. As necessary, I'll come back and add texture.

I'm excited to be moving forward again. Act two is full of pain, anguish, sex, and masses of character growth. Part way through Act Two comes the introduction of the supernatural threads of the plot, which a lot of foreshadowing has already been laid for in Act One.

Sounds great doesn't it? Lets hope it reads that way when I'm done.

A New Australian drama series begins tonight which I don't want to miss. The last one of this kind was pretty good, so I'm hoping for a good Australian production again this time round. I didn't know this was starting tonight so my writing time has been cut drastically. I want to write the Act One climax in one sitting so I'm leaving it for now.

Time to go plant myself in front of the idiot box.

4 comments:

  1. There is something to be said for a quality show on the tube. usually they don't last very long in the U.S.A. because their rating are generally not very good. (I think my favorite new show of the year has already been yanked)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your ability to experience that much detail in your head! I tend to be a bit deaf and oblivious to odors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - last year we had a first run series which was very topical, gritty, and very well done. This is unusual for Aussie drama - normally it's just crap. This year is the follow up series. First episode last night was okay. I'm hoping it gets better.

    Nat - I am a visual person. Everything I write, I see and live out in my head first. I used to not take notice of the little things, but now I make a point of it. Writing is for all the senses so I ask the questions now - what can my characters see, hear, feel, smell, and taste.

    Even just standing looking over the water, you can smell the brine which normally brings on the secretion of saliva. The wind on your face and the drone of boats and cars in the distance mingled with the cries of sea birds diving for breakfast. The glint of the sunshine on the water, the feel of the grass under your feet - it just goes on and on.

    Put yourself there and capture everything. You don't need to include everything in the writing, but you need to live it to be able to convey whatever sense of time and place you're after.

    Sorry - this wasn't meant to turn into a writing lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even just standing looking over the water, you can smell the brine which normally brings on the secretion of saliva. The wind on your face and the drone of boats and cars in the distance mingled with the cries of sea birds diving for breakfast. The glint of the sunshine on the water, the feel of the grass under your feet - it just goes on and on.

    Well said. Sometimes I forget to do that and get carried away with the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete