Sunday, February 22, 2009

Breaking News

It's official - Black magazine will no longer be seen in its previously beautiful print format. Follow the link to find out all about what's going on.

For those of you who don't know, I wrote book reviews for the publication. At this point in time, I'm not sure how things in that area are going to change, if at all. I'm still holding onto my reviews of The Harrowing. As soon as I know where they'll be posted, I'll let you know.

What else...

I am aching from playing in the top grade of cricket yesterday. I retired at the end of last year, and then offered to help out in the lower grades part way through this season. Toward the end of the season, they became desperate for one or two players to move up. Stupid me said, "Okay, no worries, play me wherever.' Very stupid comment. My head still thinks I can do all sorts of things I used to be able to do 20 years ago.

So my aches and pains has resulted in difficulty with sitting and typing. This has led to only 1758 words being added to Newland today, but some good stuff (I think/hope).




I've come across an issue with chapter 16. I'm not happy with my outline. I need to go over the whole thing and figure out how to bridge chapter 17 with chapter 15 a different way. I've got a couple of ideas so we'll see how they play out. I looked at my previous outline for 16 and just shook my head. "As if" was the clean version of the words which immediately came to mind. Lets turn a mentor for my MC into the exact opposite of what they've been teaching. Bloody idiot. So it's been scraped and left a hole four chapters before my MidPoint is begins. Things were becoming to smooth. Now I'm glad chaos has reasserted itself and caused a stop in the work as I figure out which way is up.

Hmm...

I'll quickly take this opportunity to thank everyone for their suggestions for different things with Newland on previous posts. All very helpful and if not used (although at least one of them was), they definitely led to other answers.

That's it from me for now.

Speak soon

BT

6 comments:

  1. Work through the pain BT. I can sympathize with the regret of things I can't do as easily as I could 20 years earlier. We must console ourselves that some things are indeed easier. I for one was in no shape to write the way I do now back then, it is a maturity that I would not trade for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie makes a good point -- 15-20 years ago, my writing was pure slobber. My body is worse for the years, but my "wisdom" has checked in a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, gentlemen. My writing improves each passing year as does many of the choices I make in my life.

    My body however, deteriorates at an alarming rate which makes me think I may be spending my retirement years in a great deal of discomfort - medical science had better hurry up and solve all these aging issues (hmm, could be a story in that)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1758 words is better than no words. And if it makes you feel better, while you were swearing at your chapter outline yesterday, I was swearing at mine as well. That's what I get for leaving it alone for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writers tend to have awful posture, so we're all bound for aches and pains even if we don't play sports! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. A real shame about Black. I bought both print issues and was eagerly awaking the next one.

    ReplyDelete