Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Update

Merry Christmas!

As I write this, Santa is currently delivering presents to the area around Roswell (Not making this up - according to NORAD Santa Tracker).

He finished up in Australia some 10 or so hours ago. Poor fella. He may get huge amounts of time off but he earns every minute of it in just one night.

My goal by Christmas was to write 2500-5000 words. As we rushed around getting ready for today, this seemed unlikely. But things have fallen into place and I've managed some alone time this afternoon to do some more work. I've fallen over the 2500 word mark at this point and finished chapter 7. Chapter 8 is a race against time with a young child's life at stake, and in the hands of an inexperienced white woman and an aboriginal she doesn't yet trust. Will they make it? If nothing else, it'll be a fast paced chapter to write after the last two had more foreshadowing than anything else within them. Don't get me wrong, there is action in all my chapters- relevant action to boot - but there has to be a story in there to hold it all together and that seemed to take over much of chapter 5 & 6, along with characterisation.

The characters have been revealed more and more since the beginning, but I'm now starting to reveal the intricate relationships between the major role players. Chapter 9 is ear marked for another major relationship reveal so 8 will be a nice change. I'm rambling. 8 has character relationship development but shown more through action than anything else - buy the book when it comes out and you'll see what I mean ;c)

Tomorrow the rest of the family head down to the inlaws and I have a day to write. I'm hoping to make a serious dent in my goal of 10,000+ words between Xmas and New Year.

Stay tuned.

At this point, I think we've been invited to a New Years Party so my last post for 08 will be either during the day on the 31st or during the night of the 30th. On the 1st I'll be setting new goals and publishing them here for anyone interested.

Due to people popping in for visits, pain in my legs, and my normal rambling style, Santa has moved onto Canada now - Fort Nelson to be precise.

I hope you all have a wonderful Xmas wherever you are or I hope you had one if it's already gone. For those of you interested, it was very humid and 32C here in Adelaide today. Definitely shorts and a t-shirt type weather.

Speak soon

BT

2 comments:

  1. Santa left a load of goodies at our place last night. Unfortunately he didn't bring warm weather with him. I think the high for the day is 0 degrees C.

    I hope you had a good Christmas because tomorrow is just another day.

    ReplyDelete