Wednesday, July 29, 2009

WIP Wednesday

Two things to note this week. I bumped my target word count up to 50K. I've been thinking about secondary character development and them having their own story arc. I don't want to go down the road of having a well-rounded main character and then 'the girlfriend', 'the bully', 'the clueless teacher', 'the bad guy', etc. Yes, characters who fall into these types of categories will be involved, but I want them, all of them, to be so much more than that. I want all of these characters, even the bad guy, to be characters the reader will have a strong reaction to, not just a blah - cardboard cliche type of response toward. That will take more words as the story becomes driven by more than just one or two characters.

Second thing to note - I only managed 2452 words this week (and I finished off the long winded review of Dexter). I'm spending a lot of time reading, and I'm spending time just chilling, watching the box, playing the DS, etc. Unfortunately, I'm also doing a lot more work at work - how rude is that! Still - moving forward :c)

No comments:

Post a Comment