Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Links

I've finally caught up on my feed reading and now present some of the gems for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks to Ellen for putting me onto this article about pacing over at the Enchanted Inkpot.

Josephine Damian alerted me to an article from Robin Hobb that is so scary every blogger should read it. It is so me it's scary!

Apart from the great pictures which accompany this article from the Mystery Man on Film, it is also a great discussion about the misconstrued adverb. As does Steve Harper Piziks over at the Book View Cafe (but without the nice pics).

And Kate Nash and the infamous Rejector have both posted articles about the dreaded synopsis in the vain hope that it would shed a little more light into our dark brains. Go see if it helps you out.

5 comments:

  1. Ref: Robin Hobb - I think I came to the same conclusion this weekend, after spending the previous weekend setting myself up with a bunch of different social networking gee-gaws. Apart from posting new or revised fiction, I'm putting my blogging to sleep and trying to get into the critique scene. That's what I need to get better.

    So if you have any suggestions for critique sites aside from critters and writingforums.org I'd love to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hobb article was pretty good. True, very true. Thank you for sharing the link. I think. Now I must go check 150 blogs before I sit down to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Jamie said, thanks for sharing that link...was Hobb talking about me? It was clever and well written and a good reminder about the crack of the writer's world *he says, with trembling fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anton - I got stuck into the critique side of things before I really got into blogging - ok, nobody was commenting on my blog at the time so I still had plenty of time to write...

    May I suggest you try out Critters if you haven't already. It is an excellent place to start and they have some excellent articles on the craft of offering a good and useful critique.

    Then you can try Fiction Factor which has a small but painless group of people. Or Absolute Write which has a huge group of people of differing levels. Somewhere in between would be Authors by Design.

    For those of you interested, and in Australia, I would strongly suggest the new crit groups setup by AHWA (and not because I helped formulate them). I've heard nothing but good things.

    Jamie, Alan - I am so there. It scared me how true this article is, and yet a writer needs to network to gain other writer friends so they can improve, learn about opportunities, and most importantly - not feel so alone. Catch 22 anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks BT, I'll follow up your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete