Thursday, November 13, 2008

Warms The Cockles Of My Black Heart

I was just over at Pubrants where I read an extremely interesting blog on what some editors in the US are looking for. Keep in mind Australia tends to be a year or more behind those trends, but this is big news for dark fiction writers.

This bit in particular interested me:

"Both editors are convinced that werewolves might be the new vampires (and that Zombies are almost over). Never thought I’d put those things in a sentence together! And although paranormal, vampires, and werewolves have been hot in the adult market, the children’s field hasn’t really caught up and there might be lots of room for that. I can see it."

I'm just about to release Wamphyri into the market which is both werewolf and vampire tale.

Not sure about the zombie quote though. I know over at Undead Backbrain, Rob has been keeping tabs on the next installment from George A. Romero which will likely cause another surge in the zombie craze.

I really need to get a grasp on writing horror for YA and child readers. There are writers like P. S. Gifford who are gaining momentum in this field. I wonder if I could find someone who could tell me what excludes stories from being considered YA and further excluded from a kids rating. I get that there shouldn't be swearing or sex or overt gore for gores sake, but what about everything else which makes up a horror story?

I don't let me nine year old read my stories, but then Santa and unicorns are still very real for her. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong in allowing your child to remain a child for as long as you can keep the magic going. Personally I think the world could be a better place if we all believed in a little magic. But I digress - again.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can find resources for writers who want to write in the YA or children's markets - specifically those who want to write dark fiction in these markets? Can people give me examples of what works in an adult market and how it would be presented differently in a YA market?

Time to do some serious research - I'll let you know what I find.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have been thinking of ways to utilize this knowledge. R.L.Stine is coming back into vogue I have noticed but the premises of his books are usually pretty weak at best. he might be a good place to start. You can read through several of his books in a single sitting and not feel to bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie. I'm compiling a list of books I need to read - I'll add your suggestion to it.

    For a huge, and quite disturbing, list of YA books and the topics they cover - Wikipedia has a great one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_adult_literature

    ReplyDelete