Wednesday, January 28, 2009

2009 Truly Begins

Yesterday I worked some more on Digging Up The Past, my story slated for the Devil's Food Antho. Today I finished the first draft. She now sits at 5186 words. I'll let it sit for a while before revising.

Its not as if I don't suddenly have anything else to do.

You see, my course books arrived last night.

First Module off the rank is titled "Writing For Film & Television" - and surprisingly enough, the course book goes on and on about all the things I've been learning about over at Alexandra Sokoloff's blog (link in sidebar - I know, I'm lazy).

The biggest issue I have is the way the course coordinator wants a short script each fortnight. The first is to be only two pages long, the second 3, the next 5, and on we go till we get to assignment 8 where the script is to be up to 15 pages in length. Each one is to have a beginning, a middle and an end.

Formatting for scripts is somewhat different than my normal story writing. You can fit way less on the page, and detail of setting is to be kept to a minimum. How does one tell a complete story in a visual format in less than a few minutes? I know independent film makers just starting out tend to do it all the time, but they always seemed cliche or totally abstract when I watch them. Not sure I can do that. I'm going to give it a go by adapting some of my flash stories, starting with my piece titled Wake-Up Call. At least I don't have to think up the dialogue and the scene doesn't change. What's that saying about 'gently into the fray...'

While struggling with this module, I'll also be doing Write Fiction 2. I really enjoyed the lead up module to this one, and it is a requirement for me to move onto writing a novel next year (that would be polishing the current WIP I hope).

My battle with Mr Jonathon Stone continues in the second half of the year when I become an internal student. That will be interesting. To round off the year I get to examine contemporary Australia which will be in line with the current direction my writing is heading anyway - cool, hey! For more detailed information - go look here.

Anybody see how I'm attempting to manipulate things here so my writing works for my assignments which is working for my writing in an ever increasing circle? Hopefully folding my learning layer over layer (Sara Lee anyone) will result in a greater grasp of the craft leading to a breakout year next year (if not sooner - although the plan is still for 2012).

This brings to mind another great saying: The best laid plans of Mice and Men...

Last night I also received 4 new stories to slush. I've read one so far. I'm still yet to suggest accepting anything :c(

Currently outside we are experiencing temperatures in excess of 45C. I'm inside, at my day job, where the air conditioner is keeping things at a lovely 30C+ (Yep--it can't cope either).

Don't get me wrong, I prefer it to be hot than cold. The cold makes me ache, joints seize up, life is miserable. Heat equals movement, less pain, and females with less clothing on. How can any male prefer the cold?

Enough from me for today. I'll be heading over to my website to update a few things and to create the new pages for the 2009 academic year. Pop on over if you ever get a chance or want to check out my progress.

Adios for now.

BT

2 comments: