Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Critiques Done

Nothing is more annoying than being a member of a critique group, spending hours going over another person's work (instead of doing your own), trying your best to help them grow as a writer, and then seeing supposedly revised versions being posted back to the group with the exact same errors and logic issues.

People, please! If you are going to join a critique group, with the thought being to try and improve your work, at least listen to the basics - at least run a spell checker over your submissions before posting. Have some courtesy please. If you cant take constructive criticism, then don't join a group. If you're not willing to learn and improve, don't join a group.

Not only are you wasting your time but every other members time as well.

Having vented - I am again up-to-date on my critique requirements for TPN. Guess what caused my outburst :)

I've had no feedback from The Teacher about the critique I did for her either. Here's hoping I haven't offended another friend by trying to be honest in my appraisal's. There is a diplomatic way to express concern over a fellow person's work. This is not the same as saying, treat others as you wish to be treated, as I've come across some who believe their work is superior and therefore don't expect someone to rip it to shreds, but they don't mind doing it to someone else because "if" their work was bad, they'd expect it in return. I remember having a very satisfied smile on my dial when I returned the favour one day, many months ago (not at TPN). The recipient howled for days. Then I carefully explained why he should no longer do the same to others. I hope he learnt his lesson. We have never critiqued each others work since.

You need to build trust with those you are asking for help from. If you don't find a level of trust, move on. If you don't agree with what's being said about your work, move on. But thank everyone for taking the time to look and comment on your work. I haven't come across a crit site/group yet that I've had to pay for feedback. In the end, you're getting exactly what you paid for!

Listen, learn, grow!

Good luck

BT

No comments:

Post a Comment