Thursday, February 7, 2008

Changes are a happening

As you may have noticed - some fundemental changes are taking place on the blog. The colour scheme and fonts may seem a little out of whack at the moment as I play with a new look. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to let me do it from work during my lunch break so I'll have to find the time at home.

My course books arrived yesterday and last night I began reading and working on my first assignment. 15 minutes of "Free Writing" and then revision of the result. Have you ever sat down cold and attempted to write an opinion piece? This was not to be written within 15 minutes but writing for 15 minutes non-stop. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I was instructed not to worry about grammer or spelling or the like - just write. Or, as it turned out, just ramble on. The purpose was to revise the piece to sharpen focus, identify audience, tone, etc etc - an exercise in the style and context of writing professionally. An interesting exercise. Draft 1 and revision 1 were completed last night. I'll leave it for a day or so to allow a fresh pair of eyes to have a look at it on the weekend.

Thanks for reading and good luck in whatever you're doing in your field of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment