Monday, August 31, 2009

Slack

In a word, that would be me.

Since last weeks WIP Wednesday where I was holed up in a hotel room in Melbourne, till now, I've done nothing writing related. I've not read anything and I've not written word one on my current manuscript.

I blame the insidious nature of Pokemon, of which I've managed to catch a great number, and, of which, I'm in danger of becoming a Master trainer of.

So I've updated my currently reading picture and will complete that over the next night or two. I then have a slew of things I need to read:

This Is Not A Game by Walter Jon Williams
Necrotic Tissue Issue 7 (yep, still haven't gotten around to it)
The Sour Aftertaste of Olive Lemon by Cate Gardner (been sitting on my desk for nearly a week)
Shadows by Joan De La Haye
The Unwanted by Brett Battles
Creating Short Fiction by Damon Knight
Shards by Shane Jiraiya Cummings

and I'm expecting another slew of books to arrive before the end of September so these need to be done now! The good thing is only three of the above are actual novel length works (not epic fantasy size either which is a plus after the last two). The rest should be easy to digest quickly although I'm hoping Cate's doesn't live up to it's name...okay, sorry about that lame attempt at humour. :c(

But tonight, I want to get some writing done. So I'm swearing off Pokemon until I've done some reading and writing each night.

Now I'm off to get a chunk of This Is Not A Game out of the way before I make my world famous Spag Bog.

10 comments:

  1. How dare you leave Olive sitting on your desk for a week - what if she needs a pee. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish that it was even remotely possible for me to finish all of that so quickly.

    I'm lucky to finish a novel a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knew I'd be in trouble for admitting that. Cate, she was resting comfortably on top of my grandson's nappies so if she had to go, she could go - and we all promised not to watch...

    Ben - it's no biggie really. I've been an avid reader for a long time so I enjoy reading, it's just finding the time. I'm not particularly fast, but I have managed to get through the first third of my current reading project in a couple of hours this evening, and it's a pretty good book - which always helps.

    Plus I have to keep on top of things or they'll kick me off the HorrorScope team and I wont get the opportunity to be sent great books by authors like Alan Baxter, Joan De La Haye, Alexandra Sokoloff, Brett Battles, or Stewart Neville (still waiting on that last one...). I also get to read well established authors like David Wellington, Jeff Lindsay, James Barclay and many others soon after they're released in Oz - and I get them all for free! It can be a tough gig, but someone has to do it :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone with NT issue 7. I still have it sitting on my TBR pile as well. You won't be disappointed with Cate's chapbook. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some weeks could benefit from an extra 20 hours. Remember to stop and breathe occasionally, something I fail to do on a regular basis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, good to know I'm not the only one, Jamie - not good as in neither of us are finding enough time to read but good as in...oh, you know what I mean.

    Laura - in the immortal words of Bruce Lee - "Don't forget to breathe, very important" (or words to that effect).

    Although mouth to mouth from your nearest and dearest is always nice as well ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your catch-up reading. Bet that's going to feel really, really good when you sink your teeth into it. Nothing like being book-starved for a week and finally getting the chance to start up again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read "The Sour Aftertaste" this weekend. Lovely and horrific all at once! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if your Spag Bog is as good as mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, D, I mastered this when I first moved out of home. I've swept many a damsel off her feet with it's spicy goodness - of course, now only my family get to enjoy it :c)

    For a bloke - it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete