Monday, November 16, 2009

Moving Right Along




I'm at work so I'm unable to get onto Utube but imagine Kermit and Fozzy driving along singing the song...

As reported last week, Blade Red Press has received over 200 submissions for Dark Pages Volume 1 to date. In the very beginning, Blade Red was kind enough to be my first level filter and removed anything that wasn't quite up to my extremely high standards, but then my dictator side kicked in and I needed to see everything to make my own decisions. Since I opened my mouth and requested everything, I've read nigh on 120 stories over the last four weeks. I've got less than 30 stories in my possible hold file and had to say no to a lot of friends - so don't anybody dare say I'm playing favourites!

I could have included some big names, including some major competition winners, but I've stuck to my guns and judged the story first. Yes, I've missed out on some great current writers and the possible marketing pull they may bring, but the stories that remain will be exceptional (in my humble opinion). With two weeks or so to go, the hard part of whittling down my current possibles list is going to be one of the most difficult tasks I've ever undertaken - and yet I'm looking forward to reading those stories again. I also expect some more to arrive over the next 14/15 days that push their way into consideration to make my life just that little bit more difficult. Fun times ahead.

On the personal writing front, I've had rejections roll in and the stories rolled back out. Most of these pieces are now just looking for the right market. I've also been thinking a lot about Inner Voice and I'm looking forward to wrapping up the anthology so I can get stuck into edits. I miss writing.

Finally, a big shout out to all those I know doing NaNo. I am in awe of the word totals I see around the place. I've heard of one person who has already finished! Jealous - me - bloody oath! Still, others should not be discouraged. Remember we may all be on the same journey but each writer has a different road map on how to get to that final destination. The same goes with NaNo. Work at your pace--push yourself for sure, that's what NaNo is all about after all, but don't fret over other writers wordage. Remember you are writing, and that makes you a winner already in my book. Good luck for the last two weeks!

10 comments:

  1. Good luck to you too! I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. :)
    I've crossed the 30,000 mark on NaNo so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Laura! Excellent progress.

    How is everyone else going? Don't be shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura's right, BT. You're in an unenviable position. Good luck on the final selection process and thanks for the NaNo words of encouragement.

    Word Verification: gueeh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made it to 25,000 words, so I'm right on track since we're halfway through November.

    I'm amazed that you have time to do anything else at all with so many subs to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the selection. The amount you've had to read is head spinning stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see it that way. I'm looking forward to putting out an excellent (hopefully) publication. I'm fully aware that those out there I consider my friends are also professional enough to understand a rejection from this anthology is not personal. You should see the some of the stuff I'm being sent - not considering including it would be more criminal than giving a friend acceptance - actually, I'm hoping you do see when you all buy a copy.

    Way to go KC - can't believe your mum has already finished. As for doing anything else - I don't. I work, I sleep. The rest of the time is reading...

    D - it's eye spinning and I'm starting to pay for it. I've never been so tired. Not long to go though and then the pace will ease a little - besides, it's nearly Xmas!

    How can you tell when I'm tired? I start to ramble in my comments...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh God - I just reread what I posted. Somewhere along the line I think I lost control of the English language. Time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think every writer should read for a publication at some point in their career. I am glad you are getting the opportunity now. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I'm not doing NaNo, but I'm even more relieved not to be sifting through submissions. Good luck, BT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamie - this is just the next step on the ladder for me. I already read for Aurealis, which is a great learning experience, but being the front man for an anthology is like dialling up the learning curve to Mach nine. Don't know if I'd do it again, at least not at this time of year, but it is definitely a worthwhile experience. If it works out, I may have to have a chat with Aaron and Alan about how to work the POD side of things and look at doing my own annual publication of some sort...

    ReplyDelete