Thursday, January 15, 2009

Review: The Shumann Frequency

The review is now up over at HorrorScope.

Go have a squiz here.

This book was only released to the public on the first of this year, hence my being sent what I think is called a gallery copy as opposed to an ARC. Makes reading somewhat more difficult but this book is worth the effort. On the scale discussed below, The Schumann Frequency comes in at a solid 3.

I'm going to start a scale to determine what is good and what isn't. It'll go something like this:

0 - if anything ever scores a zero I'll be amazed but if it does, run for the hills and poke out your eyes so you may never have to endure it's torture. If I've given it a zero, I have probably already done serious damage to myself.

1 - Chances are this will go on the kindling pile for use next winter. Do not buy this.

2 - This book was okay. If you can get it from a library, a free copy from elsewhere or have received it as a gift, then reading it won't be too bad, but never ever fork out the hard earned for this - there are much better titles to spend your money on.

3 - This was a pleasant way to spend time. I was transported to another place and/or time and gained enough enjoyment from the journey that I don't feel cheated in parting from my cash in the purchase of this title.

4 - A good, well written book. I would happily recommend this to my friends. I would happily buy this as a present for someone I cherished. Recommended purchase to all and sundry.

5 - Outstanding. You must buy this book. If money is tight, then steal it.

6 - Genius. This is literary perfection. This is modern-day Shakespeare. This is written by as close to the hand of God as I've ever encountered.

Examples of how I judge books so far:

I have no examples of the first two thankfully.

2 - One Foot Wrong by Sophie Laguna

3 - Infected by Scott Sigler or The Schumann Frequency

4 - Gratia Placenti by Apex Publications

5 - Books of Blood by Clive Barker

6 - Until now I haven't found anything even close to approaching this.

Most books seem to rest comfortably in the 3 or 4 range. Occasionally I find a 5 and even more rarely I find a 2.

Lastly, remember this is only my opinion. Your tastes may be a long way north or south of mine (or should that be left or right??). If you disagree with my review, I'm happy to discuss things. I'm also happy to hear about similar conclusions you've reached.

If you're an author with books you want reviewed, particularly prior to Australian release, (but I'm happy to read and review for any book in any English market) then feel free to contact me - or leave me a comment in any blog post with a contact email and I'll see what I can do for you. Arrangements for reviews can also be made through contacting Shane at HorrorScope: Australia's Dark Fiction Weblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment