Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Muse Has Struck

So much for concentrating on Newland and staying away from short stories.

Today I was browsing around the place and found this. An idea popped into my head four fifths formed. I started writing it out this morning and have so far written 1300 words and managed absolutely no real work at my day job. I just can't shake this idea.

So I'll finish it and send it off to my beta readers after a bit of polishing and after my prime reader has had a chance to give it the once over.

Thing is, I can see this fitting into a couple of markets - markets I do know well enough to see the fit, as well as the market which inspired it. My problem then becomes one of deadlines.

This Apex market closes on the 1st of March 2009 but the publication isn't due out till late 09, early 2010. Another possible market closes on the 31st May 09. Unless I get a quick rejection from Apex, I won't be able to send it to the back up market. How's that for a defeatist attitude?

Tentatively titled "Dreaming", it is full of Australiana and local flavour so I could return to the machine gun method and play it out to all the Australian publications if Apex don't want it and are too slow on any possible rejection.

Lastly, in this years diploma I will probably be required to produce more works of fiction like I did with Wamphyri last year. As this is a story based firmly in Australasia it would probably garner even better results (as long as the writing stays up to par).

Don't you just love it when you get all inspired and excited over a new piece of work...back to writing. Speak soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment